miércoles, 27 de agosto de 2008

ETI 10 - The Downeaster Alexa - Billy Joel





Well I'm on the Downeaster Alexa
And I'm cruising through Block Island Sound
I have charted a course to the Vineyard
But tonight I am Nantucket bound

We took on diesel back in Montauk yesterday
And left this morning from the bell in Gardiner's Bay
Like all the locals here I've had to sell my home
Too proud to leave I worked my fingers to the bone

So I could own my Downeaster Alexa
And I go where the ocean is deep
There are giants out there in the canyons
And a good captain can't fall asleep

I've got bills to pay and children who need clothes
I know there's fish out there but where God only knows
They say these waters aren't what they used to be
But I've got people back on land who count on me

So if you see my Downeaster Alexa
And if you work with the rod and the reel
Tell my wife I am trolling Atlantis
And I still have my hands on the wheel

Now I drive my Downeaster Alexa
More and more miles from shore every year
Since they tell me I can't sell no stripers
And there's no luck in swordfishing here

I was a bayman like my father was before
Can't make a living as a bayman anymore
There ain't much future for a man who works the sea
But there ain't no island left for islanders like me


EL DOWNEASTER ALEXA

Voy a bordo del Downeaster Alexa
Navego a través del Block Island Sound
He trazado el curso hacia la Vineyard
Pero esta noche regreso a Nantucket

Pusimos el diesel ayer en Montauk
Y partimos esta mañana de la boya de Gardiner's Bay
Como todos los lugareños tuve que vender mi casa
Demasiado orgulloso para irme, trabajé hasta desollar mis dedos

Para poder ser dueño de mi Downeaster Alexa
Y voy hacia donde el océano es profundo
Hay gigantes ahí fuera, en los cañones
Y un buen capitán no puede quedarse dormido

Tengo cuentas que pagar e hijos que necesitan ropa
Sé que hay pescado ahí afuera aunque solo Dios sabe donde
Dicen que estas aguas ya no son lo que eran
Pero tengo gente en tierra que cuenta conmigo

Así que si ves mi Downeaster Alexa
Y tu trabajas con la caña y el reel
Dile a mi esposa que estoy peleando con Atlantis
Y mis manos aún llevan el timón

Ahora dirijo mi Downeaster Alexa
A más y más millas de la costa cada año
Desde que me cuentan que no puedo vender lubinas
Y que no hay suerte con el pez espada por aquí

Yo era un hombre de la bahía como mi padre lo fue antes
Y ya no puedo ganarme la vida como tal
No hay demasiado futuro para los hombres del mar
Pero tampoco hay islas libres para isleños como yo